Welcome to Department of Botany
About the Department
- To provide thorough knowledge about various plant groups from primitive to highly evolved.
- To make the students aware of applications of different plants in various industries.
- To highlight the potential of these studies to become an entrepreneur.
- To equip the students with skills related to laboratory as well as field based studies.
- To make the students aware about conservation and sustainable use of plants.
- To establish foundation for further studies in basic and applied Botany.
- To address the socio-economical challenges related to plant sciences.
- To facilitate students for taking up and shaping a successful career in Botany.
All facilities required to impart the knowledge to the students are available at the department.
Laboratories : -
|1||Main Laboratory||836 sq. ft.||30 Students||All necessary facilities|
|2||Tissue Culture Laboratory||477 sq. ft.||15 students||Media preparation, Inoculation, Incubation|
|3||Secondary Laboratory||484 sq. ft.||20 students||All necessary facilities|
|4||Varanda Laboratory||177 sq. ft.||--||Hardening, Autoclaving, Plant storage, etc.|
Equipment/ Instrument facilities : -
- Plant tissue culture Laminar Air Flow (Microfilt), Autoclave, pH meter, Digital Balance, Magnetic stirrer, Water Distillation Unit,Refrigerator, Hot air Oven, Culture Racks, Micropipetes.
- Electronic tools Digital Camera (Sony, Nikon), LCD Projector (Sony), Laptop (Compaq), Computer, Printer (HP), Slide Projector, Slide projector.
- Practical tools Projection Microscope, Binocular Microscope, Compound Microscope, Dissecting Microscope, Herbarium cupboard, Specimen
- Ecological tools Maximum-Minimum Thermometer, Dry-Wet bulb Thermometer, Hygrometer, Soil Thermometer.
- Taxonomic tools Vasculum, Secature, Field Press, Field diary, Lens, herbarium sheet, herbarium cupboard, hoe.
Botanical Garden : -
Department has separate Botanical Garden just at the right side of college main building. Ex-situ conservation of plants of Botanical interest, horticultural plants, and important plants required for practical purpose are cultivated and maintained in the garden.
Departmental Library : -
The department has various text-books, reference books related to various disciplines of botany. Besides, E-library is also maintained at the department. Taxonomic Flora for identification and description of plants are available. The charts, preserved specimens and preserved plant specimens in the form of ‘Herbaria’ are maintained in the department.