Welcome to Department of English
“Woods are lovely dark and deep;
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep”.
– Robert Frost
About the Department
Department of English of Shri Shiv Chhatrapati College of Arts, Commerce and Science is one of the renowned departments in the Savitribai Phule Pune University. The members of the department have always been putting the heads together to transcend mediocrity to extraordinary.
Functional English course at degree level is run by the department of English quite successfully for last 15 years which enables students of the rural area to acquaint well with the four skills of English; listening, speaking, reading and writing. The students who get BA degree through this course can keep their foot on the port of education, business, law and Mass Media. They can face many challenges of the world in every possible ways.
We don’t treat students as an empty vessel of plastic material molded according to the will and wish of the teachers. They are not allowed to sit in the classroom in a row as swarms of flies and listen to what the teachers speak and write what they dictate. We give them platform to open their lips boldly. They are the real pillars of the nation who can lead their country towards the path of scientific attitude and an honest soldier to sacrifice himself for the sake of his motherland.
The total built up area of the department 30 is *20 Sq. mt. with separate cabin for the head and members of the staff.
- To develop multiple communication skills that will complement to personality development.
- To enrich literary and linguistic skills.
- To develop the analytical ability and skill of critical appreciation of literary pieces.
- To make students understand importance of English as an international language.
- To develop literary taste for creative writing.
- To strengthen the literary and linguistic taste of the students.
- To develop an ability for dialogue and group discussion.